Saturday, February 5, 2011

Automatism (Cut Up Technique)



Automatism - Allows chance to play a major role in the composition, drawing on the unconscious mind, states of trance, or dreams. Uses spontaneity to create a piece of art.

Cut Up Technique - Cutting words out of a written piece of work, then rearranging them to create entirely new phrases and meanings.

Starting with the first section of the dictionary, the A's, I cut the pages into 8 sections.


A stack of A's




With no idea of where this was going, I started putting pieces together. I decided that since the pieces came from a dictionary, I would create a new word.

I selected the squares of pages at random and amended them to each other, overlapping words on top of words. 

When I overlapped the words, I tried to make it sound like a real word. But as I overlapped more words on top of that, the meaning became confused


The end result, a new word

Visual•lagrar•i•ascent•om•pu•taras•so•ciac•tu•ash•ram•gel•i•cas•suap•pend•asham•y•lase


And while the word is ridiculously long and makes absolutely no sense, the process of getting the word is what I want to note.





No comments:

Post a Comment